Created in the 1920s by two New Orleans brothers and former streetcar drivers, the Po’ Boy is a staple in the French Quarter and beyond. Here, we present a light, fresh take on this American tradition.
- 3 cups lobster, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved and seeds removed
- ½ to 1 cup lite mayonnaise (for consistency)
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt (to taste)
- 6 hoagie or submarine rolls
- Sriracha sauce (optional for added heat and flavor)
Place chopped lobster in large mixing bowl. Add the juice of 2 lemons and toss well. Stir in mayonnaise (for a creamier consistency use 1 cup of mayonnaise). Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pile high on your favorite hoagie or submarine roll. To add a little zing to your Po’ Boy, add a dash of Sriracha sauce to the finished sandwich.
- 3 slices sourdough or artisan bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 sliced tomatoes
- 4 slices deli ham
- 2 slices crisp bacon
- ½ cup guacamole spread
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 slices deli turkey
Spread first slice of bread with mayonnaise. Top with tomatoes, ham and bacon slices. Spread second piece of bread with guacamole. Place bread on top of ham and bacon slices, guacamole side up. Layer the cucumber slices and turkey on top of guacamole, top with the last slice of bread. Press firmly or secure with toothpicks to cut.
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices Brie cheese
- ½ Granny Smith apple, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons Hot Pepper Jelly
- 3-4 thick slices turkey
Spread one slice of bread with half of the butter and top with the Brie cheese and apple slices. Spread preserves on second slice of bread, layer with turkey and place on top of Brie and apple slices turkey side up. Spread third slice of bread with remaining butter, place on top of sandwich and press well (or secure with toothpick before cutting) slice in triangle squares.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- ½ banana sliced into coins
- 1 tablespoon flaked coconut
Spread one slice of bread with peanut butter. Spread other slice with preserves. Layer the bananas over the peanut butter and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Top with other slice of bread.
PB & J with Apple and Bacon
- 2 slices whole grain or white bread
- 2 slices crisp bacon
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ Granny Smith apple, slice thin
Spread peanut butter on both slices of bread. Layer on slice with apples and bacon, and top with the other slice of bread.